Original article / research
Histopathological Study of Non-neoplastic and Neoplastic Lesions of Ovary at a Tertiary Health Care Centre in Mangalore, Karnataka, India
Dr. Varsha Jose,
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, MOSC Medical College, Cochin,
Introduction: Ovarian tumours are one of the leading causes of gynaecologic malignancy and death in women. Carcinoma of ovary represents 30% of all cancers of the female genital tract. Morphologic diversities and non-specific symptoms of these tumours often pose a diagnostic challenge.
Aim: To observe the histopathological spectrum of ovarian lesions in a tertiary care hospital and to find the distribution of benign and malignant neoplasms.
Materials and Methods: This was a prospective study done at a tertiary care hospital in Mangalore, Karnataka, India on 100 ovarian lesions over the period of three years from September 2013 to September 2016. The specimens of ovaries, both neoplastic and non-neoplastic, were processed by routine histopathological techniques and stained by Haematoxylin and Eosin (H&E) stains. Chi-square test was used to find association between spectrum of lesions.
Results: Of the 100 cases of ovarian lesions studied, majority were neoplastic lesions which constituted 51 cases (51%) and the remaining 49 (49%) were non-neoplastic. Among the non-neoplastic lesions, majority were corpus luteal cysts 25 (51%) followed by follicular cyst 17 (34.7 %). Out of the 51 neoplastic ovarian lesions, 32 (52.4%) were benign, 2 (3.2%) were borderline and 17 (27.8%) were malignant. Among the benign ovarian neoplasms, most commonly seen was serous cystadenoma followed by mucinous cystadenoma. In malignant cases, maximum were of serous cystadenocarcinoma (6 cases, 35.3%), followed by two cases each of mucinous cystadenocarcinoma and mixed germ cell tumour. There was one case of metastatic tumour to the ovary.
Conclusion: Histopathological observations in this study provide valuable baseline information regarding the frequency and distribution of ovarian tumours. Histopathology remains the gold standard in the diagnosis of ovarian lesions and their proper recognition is important for appropriate therapy.
|[ FULL TEXT ] | [ ]|